Covid-19 Update

issued:  05 May 2020

Hello runners

We hope that you are all well and staying safe during these challenging times.

We thought that we'd give you an update about the Ibex Multi-Day / Ibex Challenge and where the event stands at the moment. Hopefully this newsletter will give you some motivation to keep up your training.

Obviously, there are still 7 months to go before the starting klaxon, and as we are all discovering 7 days can be a long time at the moment.

We are still planning for the event to go ahead; meeting any stipulated and necessary public health requirements in order to keep runners, volunteers, and importantly our local community safe. It is too early for us to make a decision, however we are quietly confident.

Spain has been badly affected, and continues to be affected by this devastating virus. Many lives have sadly been lost, and Granada, is currently marking this with a week of mourning. However, the region of Andalucia has registered relatively low incidence of C-19, and with updated protocols hopes to keep it this way.

The country is now moving into de-escalation and we're now allowed out to exercise. Hooray! The trails are absolutely gorgeous after 7 weeks of very limited use. Even the shepherd and his goats have visited rarely during this time.

It seems to have been a long lockdown however it was necessarily strict, and puts the country in a good position moving forwards in managing a new normality.

The government has been planning for a phased re-opening of businesses, with an aim to allow interior movement within the country by July. Indeed, hotels are allowed to re-open, with necessary protocols in place, from Phase 1 – just two weeks time for most of mainland Spain.

Clearly there is still a long way to go, and decisions as to further freedom of movement will probably be EU-wide. Certainly there won't be any announcements until current European restrictions end on 15 May. Interestingly KLM (Dutch airline) has re-commenced flights to several EU destinations this week including Barcelona and Madrid; others will surely follow suit in due course.

In other positive news, professional athletes – not us obviously ;-) - were allowed to resume training yesterday (Monday) albeit individually for now. Sport organizations are preparing to resume competition as soon as it is safe and viable to do so. International trail events in July are hoping to to go ahead with federations due to make an announcement as to feasibility, and extra requirements at the end of this month.
All in all, we are hopeful that the Ibex Multi-Day will go ahead and would advise you to enjoy your training; safely and in keeping with any local requirements.

We will update you on 1 September, giving you a definitive decision as to the feasibility of the event 6 weeks later on 18 October – two months before the due start date.

Under the current circumstances, everyone will have the option to defer their scheduled payment, due on 1 June, and pay the two outstanding balances later in September.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us with them.

Photos of Moclin

These stunning images were taken just a few days ago, 02 May 2020.